This article may have been automatically translated. If you have any feedback regarding its quality, please let us know using the form at the bottom of this page.
Check Your Laptop Battery Health
Closed captions: Languageoptions available in the Closed Caption settings
Learn how to check the battery health status in BIOS, SupportAssist or ePSA Preboot System Assessment diagnostics, or Dell utilities such as Dell Power Manager or Dell Command | Power Manager.
NOTE: Like most laptops, Dell laptops use lithium-ion batteries, which can swell due to battery age, the number of charge cycles, or exposure to high heat. While a swollen pack does not represent a safety concern, damaged or swollen components should not be used. If you have an issue with a battery pack swelling, Dell recommends discontinuing using the battery and replacing it with a Dell-authorized battery. For more information, see the Dell knowledge base article Swollen Battery Information and Guidance.
Checking the health of the battery is an important step in troubleshooting battery-related issues and helps identify if an aging battery requires a replacement.
Check Battery Health Status in BIOS
BIOS information may differ between Dell computers, see the following figures for two different types of BIOS that may be applicable for your Dell computer.
NOTE: If the battery health is blank or unavailable, the battery may not be detected or there is a fatal error with the battery. Reseat the battery if necessary (laptop with removable battery only).
NOTE: The BIOS interface on your Dell laptop may vary. For help with getting into the BIOS, see the User Guide of your Dell laptop.
- Turn on the computer and tap F2 key at the Dell logo screen.
- On the left pane, under General, select Battery Information.
- Verify the battery health information as illustrated (Figure 1).
Figure 1: Screenshot of battery health status in the BIOS.
- Power on the computer and tap F2 key at the Dell logo screen.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Verify the battery health information as illustrated (Figure 2).
Figure 2: Animated screenshot of battery health status in BIOS.
Check Battery Health Status in Diagnostics
SupportAssist, ePSA, or PSA preboot computer assessment diagnostic test can help identify a potential battery failure and, if there is a component failure, report an error code. When you have an ePSA code, you can submit the Service Tag, ePSA error and validation code at the SupportAssist Pre-Boot System Performance Check page, to learn how to proceed.
NOTE: ePSA Preboot System Assessment tests only the primary computer battery. The battery is tested by displaying its percentage of full charge and overall health.
- Power on the computer and tap F12 key at the Dell logo screen.
- In the One Time Boot Menu, select Diagnostics, and press the Enter key.
- In the Preboot diagnostics, respond to the user prompts appropriately.
- Review the test results for battery (Figure 3). If the battery test fails, you can submit the Service Tag, ePSA error and validation code at the SupportAssist Pre-Boot System Performance Check page.
- Dell also offers an online diagnostics test, browse to the Online Battery Diagnostics page.
- The test starts automatically.
- You may be prompted to install or update the SupportAssist program, if so, follow the prompts.
Figure 3: Animated screenshot of battery health status in ePSA Preboot System Assessment diagnostics.
|Error code||Error message||Troubleshooting steps|
|ePSA 2000-0131||ePSA: Battery - The battery is not installed.|| |
|ePSA 2000-0132||ePSA: Battery -The battery is reaching the end of its usable life.||The battery charges but may experience shorter operating hours. |
|ePSA 2000-0133||ePSA: Battery - The battery cannot provide sufficient power.|| |
Check Battery Health Status in Dell Power Manager or Dell Command | Power Manager
Dell Power Manager and Dell Command | Power Manager applications help you maximize the laptop battery life by configuring how the battery should be maintained based on your personal preferences.
- Dell Power Manager - supported on Dell Inspiron, Vostro, and XPS laptops running exclusively on Windows 10, and requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 to be installed on the computer.
- Dell Command | Power Manager software provides simplified and efficient power management capabilities for Dell laptops and tablets running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 operating system. Dell Command | Power Manager is supported on select Dell Latitude and Dell Precision laptops.
Battery Health is indicated using the heart icon and four circular icons. The number of circular icons that are filled indicates battery health.
Figure 4: Screenshot of battery health indicator in Dell Power Manager.
NOTE: Battery health information is available only if a Dell battery is attached to your laptop.
|Status||Health state||Operational status||Primary status||DPM Health state|
|Replacement Needed||30 = Non-recoverable error||7 = Non-recoverable Error||3 = Error||Poor|
|Caution 2||25 = Critical failure||6 = Error||3 = Error||Fair|
|Caution 1||10 = Degraded or Warning||5 = Predictive failure||2 = Degraded||Good|
|Normal||5 = OK||2 = OK||1 = OK||Excellent|
|Unknown - battery not present||0 = Unknown||0 = Unknown||0 = Unknown||Unknown|
|Excellent—Battery is operating at maximum capacity.|
|Good—Battery can charge normally; however, you may notice reduced operating time because long-term battery life is decreasing.|
|Fair—Battery can charge normally; however, it is near the end of its usable life. It is recommended that you purchase a new battery soon.|
|Poor—Battery no longer provides sufficient power. It is recommended that you replace this battery.|
|Battery no longer operates, or battery status cannot be determined. It is recommended that you replace the battery.|
Check Battery Charge Status using LED Indicators
Dell XPS laptops and Dell Precision mobile workstations come with battery charge indicators on the left or right side (Figure 5). Pressing the charge status button indicates the amount of battery charge remaining.
Each LED light indicates a 20% battery charge.
NOTE: To learn if your Dell laptop has a battery LED indicator, see the user guide of your Dell laptop.
NOTE: Battery charge indicators are available on select Dell XPS laptops and Dell Precision mobile workstations.
Figure 5: Illustration of battery charge indicator on Dell XPS and Dell Precision mobile workstation.
Here are some recommended articles for you.
- How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Battery Issues
- Dell Laptop Battery - Frequently Asked Questions
- Dell Notebook Battery Warranty Support
- Guide to Dell Power Manager
- How to Improve the Performance of a Dell Laptop Battery
- Notebook Battery Report shows a difference between the battery design and the full charge capacity on your system battery
Utilize power-saving features to extend battery life
Closed captions: Language options available in the Closed Caption settings
Maximize Laptop Battery Runtime
Closed captions: Language options available in the Closed Caption settings
Go to our Battery and Power site for additional resources and information.
Out of warranty? No problem. Browse to the Dell.com/support website and enter your Dell Service Tag and view our offers.
NOTE: Offers are only available for US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, and China personal computer customers. Server and Storage are not applicable.
G Series, Alienware, Inspiron, Latitude, Vostro, XPS, Retired Models, Mobile Workstations
Comments cannot contain these special characters: <>()\
How do you check laptop battery health is good or not? ›
Get a detailed battery report in Windows 11
Select Search on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes. At the command prompt, type powercfg /batteryreport, then press Enter.
- Completely power down the laptop and remove the cord from the computer.
- Flip the laptop over.
- Push on the battery release button or buttons to release the battery form the computer and remove the battery.
- Power on the computer without the battery, allowing it to boot completely.
Enter powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery-report. html" into the window and press Enter to run the command. PowerShell will then tell you the name of the generated battery life report HTML file and where it has been saved on your computer. In this case, it is called battery-report.How can I test my Dell battery? ›
Power on the computer and tap F12 key at the Dell logo screen. In the One Time Boot Menu, select Diagnostics, and press the Enter key. In the Preboot diagnostics, respond to the user prompts appropriately. Review the test results for battery (Figure 3).What is normal laptop battery health? ›
On average, a laptop battery lasts about 1,000 charge cycles or between 2-4 years of typical use. That's when you should expect to replace your laptop battery. If you're OK to use it plugged in more often than you used to, there's no need to replace the laptop battery.How can I make my battery health 100 again? ›
There's only one thing that you can do to keep your iPhone's battery health at 100%. Stop using your iPhone. Yup, the only way you're going to keep your iPhone's battery at 100% is to stop using it and charging it.How long should Dell laptop battery last? ›
When Should I Consider Replacing the Battery? All rechargeable batteries wear out with time and usage. As time and cumulative use increase, the performance will degrade. For the typical user, noticeable reduction in run time generally will be observed after 18 to 24 months.How can I fix my Dell laptop battery health? ›
- Verify AC adapter functionality.
- Charge the battery in BIOS mode or with the laptop turned off.
- Run the Dell hardware diagnostic test.
- Check the battery health status.
- Update the BIOS and Dell Quickset.
- Run Windows Troubleshooter for battery issues.
- Uninstall and reinstall Microsoft ACPI Battery driver.
Android has a few hidden codes that you can punch into your Phone app to access testing menus. One of these displays a variety of info about your device, including its battery health. To see it, open your dialer and type *#*#4636#*#*.How do I check my Dell laptop battery health Windows 10? ›
Turn on the computer and tap F2 key at the Dell logo screen. On the left pane, under General, select Battery Information. Verify the battery health information as illustrated (Figure 1).
How long should laptop battery last? ›
Laptop batteries usually only last from 2 to 4 years, which amounts to about 1,000 charges. However, there are a few factors that determine how long a battery will last before it finally gives out: The material that the laptop battery is made from. How much you use the laptop.How much battery wear is normal? ›
If it holds steady between 15%-20%, then it's probably nothing to worry about. If it continues wearing quickly, then the battery may have been damaged by the previous owner. (Measuring battery capacity and wear level is a bit of a black art, as it requires extremely accurate measurements of voltage.How do I know if my Dell laptop battery needs replacing? ›
- Little Use Time. One of the most obvious signs it may be time to reassess your laptop battery is if it dies much sooner than it used to. ...
- Unexpected Power Issues. ...
- Slow Charge. ...
- Overheating. ...
- Age. ...
- System Report.
- Turn on your computer.
- At the Dell logo, press the F12 key several times until the One Time Boot Menu appears.
- On the boot menu screen, select the Diagnostics option and press Enter (Figure 1). ...
- The diagnostic test begins.
How long should a laptop battery last after each charge? After the laptop has gone through a full single charge and the power adapter is unplugged, the average laptop battery life is between one and ten hours.Can a laptop last 10 years? ›
You can expect a laptop to last four to five years, though Apple laptops have a longer life expectancy. No matter how well you care for a laptop, don't expect to use it for more than about 10 years due to software issues. Here are seven of the key signs it's time to upgrade to a new laptop.Should I leave my Dell laptop plugged in all the time? ›
Asus says you should drain the battery to at least 50 percent every two weeks. But Dell says there's no problem leaving the laptop plugged in at all times. Apple's advice is no longer on its website, but you can still read it online. The company recommends against leaving a laptop plugged in all the time.How much battery is healthy after 1 year? ›
It's not unusual to see iPhones that, after one year, still have a battery capacity of 95% or above. The reason is a type of fail-safe: Apple builds its batteries with excess capacity, meaning that it doesn't actually use all of its potential operating power when its Battery Health states 100%.Can I increase battery health? ›
Choose settings that use less battery
Reduce screen brightness. Set the brightness to change automatically. Turn off keyboard sounds or vibrations. Restrict apps with high battery use.
If your phone has already lost battery health, then there is nothing one can do other than replace the battery. As the battery capacity decrease is directly proportional to the chemical composition of the battery and once it comes down, there is no way to take it back to 100 percent.
What is the cost of Dell laptop battery? ›
|Dell Laptops Batteries Model||Price|
|DELL Li-ion Battery XCMRD||Rs 2539|
|DELL Original Battery Latitude||Rs 2699|
|DELL 15R-5521 3521 OEM Genuine Battery||Rs 2592|
|DELL Inspiron 14-3421 4 Cell Laptop Battery||Rs 2479|
Overall, the average lifespan of a laptop battery on a single charge probably ranges from as low as 2-3 hours to as high as 7-8 (or more) hours. Again, though it really just depends on what you are doing with your laptop.Why is my Dell laptop battery draining so fast? ›
There could be too many processes running in the background. A heavy application (like gaming or any other desktop app) can also drain the battery. Your system can be running on high brightness or other advanced options. Too many online and network connections can also cause this problem.How do I reboot my battery? ›
To reset your car, just follow these easy steps: Detach the battery cable for two to three minutes. Reconnect the battery and start the car. Drive the car for at least 10 miles to let the engine control units find any potential problems.Does leaving laptop plugged in damage battery? ›
Once your battery is charged to full capacity, it will simply stop charging, so keeping your laptop plugged in will not cause any issues to your battery.
|HP HS04 Battery||₹1,300|
|HP OA03 740715-001 F3B94AA Pavilion 14 Series OA04 240 G2 240 G3 250 G2 250 G3 4 Cell Laptop Battery||₹3,250|
|HP Laptop Internal Battery SS03XL||₹3,999|
|HP MU06 Pavilion G42 G56 G62 G72 Series Pav DM4 DV6 Series 593553-001 WD548AA 6 Cell Laptop Battery||₹2,950|
After purchasing a new laptop computer or battery for your laptop, we recommend the battery be charged for no less than 24-hours. A 24-hour charge makes sure the battery is full and helps with the battery's life expectancy. Once it is fully charged, you should not discharge it fully, if possible.Can a battery last 10 years? ›
Generally, electric vehicle batteries last 10-20 years, but some factors may reduce their lifespan.What is the lifetime of a battery? ›
Batteries gradually deteriorate until they can no longer provide enough power to start an engine. This wear time could take three to five years and a vehicle's usage pattern is one factor contributing to the rate at which a battery will age.What is considered an old laptop battery? ›
The first is the number of charge/discharge cycles. The higher this number, the more worn your battery is likely to be. If this number is over 500, the battery is getting old. If it is over 800, the battery is likely close to the end of its life.
How do you know if laptop battery is bad? ›
Signs of a worn-out battery include: Getting too hot when charging, especially along the bottom of the case where the battery is located. Losing charge quickly. Taking too long to charge.How do I check the health of my HP laptop battery? ›
- In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant. ...
- On the My Dashboard tab, click Battery. ...
- Click Run battery check.
- Wait while the battery check completes. ...
- Review the HP Support Assistant Battery Check results.
- Overheating. A little bit of increased heat is normal when the battery is running. ...
- Failing to Charge. Your laptop battery failing to charge when plugged in could be a sign that it needs replacing. ...
- Short Run Time and Shutdowns.
- Start your Dell computer.
- Press F2 when the Dell logo screen shows up. ...
- Look for the General category in the left pane and expand it.
- Choose the Battery Information option under it.
- The corresponding Battery health status and information will be displayed in the right pane.
On average, a laptop battery has a lifespan of between two and four years (around 1,000 full charges). Total lifespan depends on the battery type, how you treat the computer, and how often you use your laptop.How do I check the health of my laptop? ›
- In the search box on the taskbar, type Windows Security, and then select it from the results.
- Select Device performance & health to view the Health report.
- Open your phone's Settings app.
- Under "Battery," see how much charge you have left, and about how long it will last.
- For details, tap Battery.
- For a graph and list of battery use, tap Battery Usage. To see or change how a listed app uses battery, tap it.
Luckily (and contrary to what some brands might want you to think), replacing a battery in a laptop is one of the fastest, easiest ways to give your computer a boost.